Moving Away From Diets:
Healing Eating Problems and Exercise Resistance
by Karin Kratina, PhD, RD, Nancy King, MS, RD & Dayle Hayes, MS, RD
Written for professionals who want to help clients heal diet mentality, binge eating and other eating problems.
Techniques and tools to teach clients to learn to listen to their bodies' inner wisdom and eating when hunger and easily quit when satisfied (intuitive eating), to overcome exercise resistance and find joyful movement, and, ultimately, to manage weight naturally.
Clinicians can immediately implement the detailed counseling strategies and techniques. Case studies outline the this approach in action.
Numerous handouts are provided to immediately begin using this mindful, intuitive eating / nondiet approach to helping clients with eating problems and eating disorders .
More About Moving Away From Diets
This book outlines how to help clients:
- reconnect with and trust internal signals of hunger and satiety;
- feel more comfortable in the body immediately;
- begin to eat more healthfully without the use of cognitive restraint;
- find a natural and healthy weight;
- overcome exercise resistance;
- decode eating behaviors and body image concerns.
The specific and detailed stepwise counseling strategies will shorten your learning curve and enable you to begin using intuitive eating immediately. Many find they enjoy their work more with this effective, compassionate approach to treating food and weight issues. Appropriate for those in:
- private practice
- university settings
- managed care organizations
- corporate wellness programs
Moving Away From Diets is an excellent addition to college level course work, appropriate for nutrition, counseling, health promotion and fitness curriculums. It is currently required reading at major universities across the US.
For the Public
This easy-to-read paradigm-shifting book provides valuable information and support for changing relationship with food and exercise. Learn how to manage weight without dieting; heal diet trauma; overcome exercise resistance and learn how to eat when hungry and quit when satisfied. Tools provided will increase awareness and support a new eating style.
- Weight, Health and Culture: A Time For Change
- Metabolic Fitness: A Non-Weight Centered Approach to Wellness
- Health At Every Size, Health for Every Body
- Size and Self-Acceptance: Hating the Body a Little Less
- Loving the Body You Have: Size-Acceptance
- Understanding Disconnected Eating
- HungerWork: Discovering Physically-Connected Eating
- HungerWork: Heal Disconnected Eating
- HungerWork: Promoting Joyful and Healthful Eating
- Joyful Movement
- Advanced Counseling Concepts
- Concepts in Action
Earn 25 CEs. Worksheets and handouts to implement a mindful, intuitive approach to eating also available.